I’ve been craving for a good carbonara ever since this video of some Italian restaurant started making its rounds in my Facebook feed. Since it was just my dad and my younger brother here at home for a few weeks, I decided to cook up a batch for a midweek dinner! I already had them block off one weeknight for this and tonight finally arrived! So here’s the basic recipe that I used for the pasta. These are pretty rough estimates but this is the closest I’ve gone to actually measuring my ingredients.
- 300g Spaghetti
- 120g Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Whole eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 6 strips Streaky bacon
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon strips over medium heat to preferred doneness. Once cooked, cut into pieces. Leave the oil warm on the pan.
- Combine the eggs, yolk, parmesan cheese, and black pepper in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Boil your pasta up until a minute before indicated cooking time.
- Transfer the pasta into the pan with the bacon fat and toss it around in the oil.
- While the pasta and pan are still warm but not piping hot, add in the egg, cheese, and black pepper mixture.
- Add in your cut bacon and enjoy!
This recipe is just right for three people and is perfect with a little freshly toasted garlic bread. If you want a very quick recap of the procedure, do check out my 15 second recipe video over at Vimeo. Just click on the link below!
Recipe video link: To follow